Prev이전 문서

Next다음 문서

ESC닫기

크게 작게 위로 아래로 댓글로 가기 인쇄 수정 삭제
Principle Over Politics

FRANK BRUNI

입력일자: 2012-08-22 (수)

Omaha

It makes no strategic sense for Bob Kerrey to bring up his support for gay marriage on the campaign trail in Nebraska, where he’s the Democratic nominee for an open Senate seat. Republicans far outnumber Democrats here; the state’s voters are socially conservative; his opponents are already smearing him as some effete import from the bohemian wilds of Lower Manhattan; and he trails the Republican nominee in the polls.

현재 공석중인 네브라스카의 상원의원 선거에서 민주당 후보 지명을 받은 밥 케리가 선거유세에 동성애자 결혼 찬성을 들고 나오는 것이 전략적으로 현명하지는 않다. 이곳에서는 공화당원들의 숫자가 민주당원들의 숫자를 훨씬 능가한다. 이 주의 유권자들은 사회적으로 보수적이다. 그의 정적들은 이미 그를 맨하탄 남부에서 수입된 한물 간 종자 정도로 치부해 흠집을 내고 있다.

He brings up gay marriage anyway. Not every day, but on many of them. Not in response to voters’ questions, but at the prodding of his own conscience.

어찌 되었든 그는 동성애자 결혼문제를 거론한다. 매일은 아닐지 몰라도 상당히 자주 한다. 이는 유권자들의 질문에 대답하기 위한 것이 아니라 그 자신 양심의 부추김 때문이다.

I got the feeling that his advisers would like him to stop — and that he knows he’d probably be wise to.

나는 그의 조언자들은 그가 이렇게 하는 것을 중지하기 원한다는 느낌을 가졌다- 그리고 그도 또한 그렇게 하는 것이 현명한 일임을 안다.

But here’s the thing: he’s 68. This race to reclaim the Senate seat that he held from 1989 to 2001, after which he retired from politics and relocated to New York, could be his last. And if he’s going to go down, he told me, he wants to go down fighting for what’s right and for what he truly believes. That means making a pitch for gay marriage.

하지만 여기에 본질이 있다: 그는 68세 이다. 그가 정치에서 은퇴하고 맨하탄으로 이사가기 전 즉 1989년 부터 2001년까지 그가 유지하던 상원 의석을 되찾으려는 이번 선거전은 아마 그의 마지막 선거전이 될 것이다. 그리고 만약에 그가 패배하게 된다면, 내게 말한 바와 같이, 그는 옳은 일 그리고 그가 진정으로 옳다고 믿는 일을 위해 싸우다 패배하기를 원한다. 이 말은 동성애자 결혼문제에 대해 목소리를 높이겠다는 것을 의미한다.

“What I usually say is, ‘Let me talk to you about the issue of homosexuality,’ ” Kerrey said over a drink here Saturday night. And then he indeed talks to voters about it, telling them that people are born the way they are and deserve a full complement of civil rights, including the right to marry. It’s that simple.
“People who are opposed to it are going to have to be explaining to their grandkids: why, why, why was that the rationale?” he said. “We’re going to be embarrassed in 25 years.”

"나는 평소에, '동성애 사안에 대해 말씀드려 보겠습니다'라고 말합니다"라고 토요일 저녁 이곳에서 같이 맥주를 마시면서 케리가 말했다. 그리고 실제로 그는 유권자들에게 이것에 관해서 말을 하는데 사람은 그 사람 그대로 태어나며 사람은 (누가 되었든) 결혼의 권리를 포함한 완전한 인간의 권리를 받을 자격이 있다고 한다. 그렇게 간단하다. "이를 반대하는 사람들은 그들의 손자 손녀들에게 이를 설명해야 할 것입니다; 왜, 왜, 왜, 그게 합당했던지를?" 라고 그가 말했다. "우리는 25년 이내에 창피를 당하게 될 것입니다"

A life in politics often means the death of candor, twisting candidates into disingenuous knots. Barack Obama was for gay marriage as an Illinois state senator in the 1990s, when his audience was one liberal district, before he was against it over the next decade, when his aspirations were national. As Mitt Romney’s term in the Massachusetts governor’s office progressed, his positions on social issues regressed, and he entered the 2008 Republican primaries as a political animal with a whole new set of stripes.

정치적인 생명은 때때로 솔직함의 죽음을 의미한다. 즉, 후보자들을 풀리지 않는 궁지로 몰아넣는다. 1990년대 바락 오바마가 일리노이스 주 상원의원이었을 때 즉 그의 말을 들어야 하는 청중들이 진보적 지역에 있었을 때는 그는 동성애자 결혼을 찬성했다. 그의 포부가 전국적이 되어 동성애자 결혼에 대해 반대하기 전 까지 말이다. 매사추세스 주지사인 미트 롬리는 임기가 진행되면서 사회적 이슈에 대한 그의 입장은 퇴보했으며 그가 2008년 공화당 후보지명전에 돌입했을 때 그는 완전히 다른 무늬를 가진 정치적 동물이 되어있었다.

Kerrey has been consistent, starting with his vote in 1996 against the Defense of Marriage Act, which defined marriage as the union of a man and a woman. It was signed into law by Bill Clinton.

1996년 결혼이란 남자와 여자의 결합이라 정의한 결혼 보호법에 대해 반대한 이래로 케리는 한결같이 지조를 지켰다. 그 법은 빌 클린턴에 의해 서명되어 법제정이 되었다.

All 53 Republicans in the Senate voted for it. So did 32 Democrats, including Joe Biden. Most of the 14 Democrats who opposed D.O.M.A. were from states — California, Massachusetts — that were unlikely to punish them for it. Kerrey stood out.
“I know that Bob Kerrey looked at this issue as a right-or-wrong question,” said Senator Ron Wyden, an Oregon Democrat who also voted against D.O.M.A. “I remember talking with him about it at the time. With Bob, you just get an unvarnished judgment.”

공화당 상원의원 53명은 모두 이 법에 찬성했다. 조 바이든을 포함한 32명의 민주당 상원의원들도 이에 찬성했다. DOMA 법에 반대한 14명의 민주당 의원중 대부분은 이렇게 했다고 해서 자리를 잃을 염려가 없는 캘리포니아나 매사츄세스 같은 주 출신이다. 케리는 유별났다. "케리는 이 법안을 옳고 그름의 문제로 보았다는 사실을 압니다" 라고 그 역시 DAMA 법에 반대한 오레곤의 민주당 상원의원 론 와이든이 말했다. "그 당시 이에 관해 그와 얘기를 나눈 기억이 있습니다. 밥이 채색되지 않은 판단력이 있음을 알 것입니다."

He’s no across-the-board liberal. In fact, his centrist reputation had many Democrats upset about his decision to run this year. They wanted a bolder progressive.

그는 급진적 진보주의자가 아니다. 실제로는 그의 중도적 입장 때문에 많은 민주당원들은 그가 이 번 선거에 출마하겠다고 결정했을 때 화를 냈다. 그들은 보다 더 강한 진보주의자를 원했었다.

He didn’t come to his position on gay marriage because of a close relative or Vietnam War buddy. But over the years, he developed friendships with gay people.

그의 가까운 가족이나 베트남 전쟁의 전우 때문에 동성애자 결혼에 대한 이러한 입장을 가지게 된 것은 아니다. 하지만 여러해를 두고 그는 동성애자들과 인간관계를 구축했다.

Had he sought re-election to the Senate in 2000, he might well have been hurt by his D.O.M.A. vote and by his opposition to a 2000 ballot measure in Nebraska that called for amending the state constitution to ban same-sex civil unions as well as marriages.

만약 그가 2,000 년 상원의원 선거에 다시 당선되기 위해 출마했었다면 DOMA 법에 대한 그의 반대투표와 2,000년 네브라스카에서 실시된 주민 발의안 즉, 동성애자의 동거지위 인정과 결혼을 금지시키기 위해 주 헌법을 개정하려던 투표에 반대한 그의 입장때문에 타격을 받았을 것이다.

Ben Nelson, the Nebraska Democrat who ran for the Senate seat that Kerrey was giving up, supported the ban. Nebraskans approved it by a margin of more than 2-to-1. Nelson won, and is now retiring after two terms.

케리가 포기한 상원의원 자리를 위해 출마한 네브라스카의 민주당원 벤 넬슨은 동성애자 결혼을 반대했다. 네브라스카는 이 발의안을 2 대 1 이상의 차이를 두고 통과시켰다. 넬슨은 선거에서 이겼고 이제 임기를 2 번 마친 다음 퇴임하려 한다.

Kerrey’s bid to return to the Senate is driven largely, he said, by concerns over the country’s fiscal health and the breakdown of bipartisanship. He is already facing attack ads that preposterously cast him as a carpetbagger, though he was reared and educated in Nebraska, returned here after winning a Medal of Honor in Vietnam, and governed the state from 1983 to 1987. A bridge in Omaha is named for him.

그가 상원으로 되돌아가려 하는 주 원인은 이 나라의 재정 건전성에 대한 염려와 양당제가 붕괴되는 것에 대한 염려때문이라고 말했다. 그는 이미 그를 외부에서 들어온 떠돌이 정치인 정도로 얼토당토 않게 치부하는 공격적 광고들을 접하고 있다. 비록 그가 네브라스카에서 성장했고 학교를 다녔으며 베트남에서 무공훈장을 받고 돌아왔으며 1983년 부터 1987년 까지 주지사를 역임했음에도 말이다. 오마하에 있는 다리 하나는 그의 이름을 따라 명명되었다.

Gay marriage isn’t his primary issue. I just happened to hear that he was mentioning it frequently and gave him a call, during which he said that any commitment to social justice compelled advocacy of gay rights. He told me that he often asks voters: “Do you think anyone in his right mind would choose to be gay in Nebraska?”

동성애자 결혼은 그에게 주 사안은 아니다. 단지 그가 이에 대해 자주 언급하는 것을 내가 들었고 그에게 전화를 걸었다. 통화 동안 그는 사회적 정의를 위해 노력하려 결정하니 동성애자들의 권리를 옹호하지 않을 수 없었다고 말했다. 그는 종종 유권자들에게 "네브라스카에 있는 사람 중에 정신이 온전한 사람이라면 자신이 원해서 동성애자가 되는 사람이 있겠습니까?" 하고 묻는다고 내게 말했다.

After he agreed to continue our conversation in person, an aide e-mailed to say that an interview couldn’t be arranged. Kerrey overruled the aide.

개인 적으로 만나서 대화를 나누는 것에 동의한 다음에 그의 보좌관으로 부터 이 메일을 받았는데 이는 인터뷰를 할 수 없다는 것이었다. 케리 자신이 그 보좌관의 결정을 번복했다.

He knows that he has politically risky positions, including his longtime support of abortion rights, but said, “I think I can be the kind of senator who would make Nebraskans proud.”
If they value principle and valor, there’s no doubt.

그는 오랜 동안 낙태의 권리를 찬성한 것을 포함해서 정치적으로 위태로운 입장에 있다는 것을 안다. 하지만 그는 "나는 네브라스카 주민들이 자랑스러워할 상원의원이 될 수 있다고 생각합니다." 라고 말한다.
만약 그들이 원칙과 용기의 가치를 인정하는 사람들이라면 이 말에는 의심의 여지가 없다.

Articles

51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60