우리야 스미쓰의 아주 재미있는 처세법

by 강철호 posted Jan 06, 2011 Likes 0 Replies 1
?

단축키

Prev이전 문서

Next다음 문서

ESC닫기

크게 작게 위로 아래로 댓글로 가기 인쇄 수정 삭제

우리야 스미쓰는 50년 동안이나 리뷰 앤 헤랄드의 편집장을 한 사람입니다. 한 마디로 초기 안식일교회의 사상적 주역중의 한 사람이라 할 수 있습니다. 그런데 그는 초기 30년 동안은 엘렌 화잇의 선지성을 믿었지만 후기 20년 간은 이를 믿지 않았습니다. 그 전에 제가 한 번 오렸던 프레스 코트 교수와 같은 처지가 되었습니다. 믿자니 양심이 괴롭고 부정하고 나서서 떠들자니 지금까지 투자한 인생이 억울하고, 또 자리도 빼앗길게 분명하고.....그래서 조용히 혼자만 삭히면서 인생을 살다 간 것이지요...

캔라이트는 우라야 스미쓰와 친한 관계였고 이 둘은 서로의 생각을 잘 알았습니다. 캔라이트가 교회를 떠나면서 우리야 스미쓰도 엘렌 화잇의 증언을 믿지 않는다고 나팔을 분 모양입니다. 교회는 이를 접하고 스미쓰에게 해명을 요구합니다. 도저히 압력에 버틸 수 없어서 스미쓰는 글을 씁니다. 그런데 그 글이 알쏭 달쏭, 애매 모호, 귀에 걸면 귀걸이 코에 걸면 코걸이 글입니다.  교인들이 반발하고 명확히 해 달라고 하자 "그것을 받고 떨어지든지 아니면 아무것도 받지 않든지" 라고 대답을 합니다.

When I left the Adventists, I stated that Elder Smith, like myself, doubted the testimonies. The officials then pressed him to state in the Review his position regarding them. This put him in a tight place. After much pressure, he wrote a short article headed "Personal." Every line of this shows that he tried to say something without really saying anything. His brethren were not satisfied. I was told he said, "You will take that or nothing." Here are a few lines from his statement:

"Just how near I ever did come to giving them up, I am willing any one should know who wishes to know if it can be determined. Perhaps I have not come so near as some suppose; perhaps not so near as I have supposed myself. . . Under what has seemed, for the time, strong provocations to withdraw from the work, I have canvassed the question how far this could reasonably be done, or how much of this work could consistently be surrendered. . . A little reflection is sufficient to show that the message, and that which has accompanied it, can not be separated. Well, then, says one, the absurdity of this part [the visions] of the work is sufficient to overthrow the other. To which I reply, No, for the strength of the other parts is sufficient to hold a person from giving up this. And this has been the position I have occupied" ("Replies to Canright," p. 108).

Articles